Saturday, August 15, 2009

Thin Crust Pizza

One of my favorite things to make for my family and friends, bar none is pizza. I was always wanting to make pizza crust from scratch so I started to dig around the internet for a recipe for a good thin crust. After a little bit of research I found a crust that seemed to have lots of good reviews and so I tried that one out. After making it various times, I found that it had a nice crispy texture, but the taste wasn't where I wanted it to be.

From that point on, i'd always make variations of this recipe adding ingredients, changing the amounts of ingredients etc. Finally, I made some pizzas for my friends after they had their baby and they were a hit. I actually had a small amount of dough left from that batch so I instantly made a Margherita Pizza (Tomatoes, Basil and Mozzerella) and it was simply awesome. Both my wife and I were very impressed.

Enough of the story talk, here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
Approx. 3 Cups of Flour
1 tsp of Baking Powder
1/4 tsp of Baking Soda
1 cup of milk
1/2 cup of water
1/2 tsp salt

Directions:
Heat the milk in a pyrex cup for about 1 min in the microwave or if you're a microwave hating hippie, heat it in a pot over med heat for a couple mins. This will make the dough easier to work once it's ready to knead and roll out. Sift together 1 cup of flour with all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Once the milk is ready, pour it into the dry mixture stirring with a wooden spoon and slowly keep adding the additional flour until the dough is a slightly tacky consistency.

Now is a good time to preheat the oven at 450F. (Any higher will likely burn your parchment paper)

Grab the ball of dough and cut it in half. Set one dough ball aside. Put flour on your counter top and press the dough ball down. Roll the dough out to about 1/8" thick in the most round shape as possible. Put the rolled out crust on a pizza pan lined with parchment paper. Do the same with the other dough ball that was set aside.

Sauce up the crust with a good flavoured pizza sauce. My dad hates certain pizza sauces as they are bland and I agree, a good pizza sauce can make or break a pizza. Add toppings of choice. Bake the pizza in the oven until the bottom of the crust gets a nice golden color.

Variations: If you like a crispier crust, try lowering the water to 1/4cup and add 1/4 cup of Olive oil, butter/margarine or lard. Each adds it's own unique spin to the crust in terms of taste and texture.

Hope this recipe makes you a nice Zza that everyone will dig.

Word.

1 comment:

  1. it is simply awesome, and I discovered that it rolls out even better after being in the fridge for a few days and it is even crispier!

    ReplyDelete